Wednesday 8 April 2015

My Lip Balm Collection: Reviews and Swatches

As I promised in one of my previous posts here is my lip balm collection. Being a conscious shopper I am surprised to find a "collection" in my possession. This time is due to Glossybox, not to my over splashing with cash.

I am not a lip gloss or lipsticks person - I love my simple natural lip balms. So I want to share with you my impressions and reviews on this small collection I got by chance not by a choice.


1. Burt's Bees Lip Shine. These are 100% natural, sheer glosses, enriched with moisturising Apricot Wax and Sunflower Seed oil. You can see swatches below - first two from the right.

Here are the ingredients for you to have a look:

All shades except Smooch: ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, oleic/linoleic/linolenic polyglycerides, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, lanolin, silica, cera alba (beeswax, cire d’abeille), armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, hydrogenated apricot kernel oil, hydrogenated apricot oil unsaponifiables, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil unsaponifiables, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, tocopherol, ammonium glycyrrhizate, glycine soja (soybean) oil, alumina., +/- (may contain): CI 75470 (carmine), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (iron oxides), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide). *natural flavour, Smooch Lip Shine: ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, oleic/linoleic/linolenic polyglycerides, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, lanolin, silica, cera alba (beeswax, cire d’abeille), acacia decurrens/jojoba/sunflower seed cera (wax, cire) polyglyceryl-3 esters, aroma (flavour)*, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, hydrogenated apricot kernel oil, hydrogenated apricot oil unsaponifiables, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil unsaponifiables, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, tocopherol, ammonium glycyrrhizate, glycine soja (soybean) oil, alumina. +/- (may contain): CI 75470 (carmine), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (iron oxides), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide). *natural flavour


I will give Burt's Bees Lip Shine 3 stars out of 5. They are not just natural what is great, but also give your lips sheer colour and a shiny, glassy  finish. I can't say that they are great in moisturising the lips and I do have a white line forming after a day of use (what I just hate in lip balms or glosses). But overall it is a great beauty tube for a spring/summer time and scent is just yummy!


2. Royal Apothic Tinties Lip Butter in shade Coral. Beautiful packaging - tiny glass jar with a cute lid. A beautiful thing for a dressing table. This lip butter ads a hint of colour and I can say moisturises a bit better than Burt's bees. Check the swatch below in the middle.

I didn't keep a box and couldn't find a full ingredient list for you online. According to the official website Royal Apothic Tinties Lip Butters are made with Argan oil, Grape Seed oil, Sweet Almond oil and Shea butter.

I will give Royal Apothic Tinties Lip Butter 4 stars out of 5. Even its ingredient list isn't as good as Burt's Bees Lip Shine, I found this lip butter more pleasant and effective. 


3. Carmex Moisture Plus Berry Lip Balm. This is my favourite lip balm in my collection and I plan to use and enjoy it this spring. It has a lovely berry tint and it is truly soft and full of right moisture lips need. Have a look at the swatch below second from the left.

Here is the ingredient list:

C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Ozokerite, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (Octinoxate), Benzophenone-3 (Oxybenzone), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Paraffin, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Aroma, Ricinus communis seed oil7, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Persea Gratissima (Avocado Butter), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Linoleate (Vitamin E Linoleate), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Camphor, Titanium Ethyl Vanillin, Menthol, CI77491, CI77499, Saccharin Contains Oxybenzone.

I will give Carmex Moisture Plus Berry lip balm 5 stars out of 5. This lip balm ticks all the right boxes for me and it is close to a lip stick, if you are looking for a moisturising one.


4. Pixi by Petra Lip Balm. If Carmex Moisture Plus is my favourite, this one is the least favourite lip balm in my collection. If you are after a lip balm with the most tint in it - you will love Pixi by Petra, it really stays on the lips for long. What I didn't like - it is so hard to apply, doesn't glide on easy. I find this lip balm very hard and even drying - what is unusual to say about a lip balm. Check the swatch below - first from the left.

Here is the ingredient list:

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Ozokerite, Octyldodecanol, Beeswax, Trihydroxystearin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin. [+/- Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499), Red 6 (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850)].

I will give Pixi by Petra lip balm 2 stars out of 5. Being a lip balm, it didn't perform very well with me, 2 stars for the brilliant colour stay. But you will need a lip balm to use on top of it to keep your lips soft and moist. 


Have you tried any from above?
Marija







No comments:

Post a Comment